Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Finding the SUN - The birth of a Sun Fire T2000 Sun Server - Day 1

Out of the box - Day one

When I got the call from the front desk that the new server had arrived, I will admit that I looked at my coffee cup and wished it had something a bit stronger in there. At the same time I could hear Angelina Jolie whispering inside my head that this was too much machine for me.

I’ve never been one to back down from a fight though and so this David went to confront his Goliath. Waiting for me were two boxes, one with two power cords (how nice of them to supply an extra one for a monitor I thought), and one box containing the beast itself. The larger box proved a good deal heavier than its size led me to believe but after careful lugging to a vacant desk and a mental note to visit a chiropractor I started to unpack it.

Inside the Ikea inspired (this is a good thing) packaging awaited a highly attractive server a minimal documentation pouch giving a list of online resources, a couple of Cat 5 cables and several adapters that mystified me.

I had a feeling that I should let the air flow around the machine and so rightly or wrongly decided to balance it on three points on the sturdy packaging rather than placing it flat on the desk. Looking around I located USB ports for a keyboard and mouse and started to look for a CRT socket. This is the first point where my lack of experience with purpose built ‘proper’ servers was exposed because there isn’t one.

Deciding at this point that I needed help and thought that experience based help would be a better bet than simply reading the online manuals alone and had a Google for

SUN T2000 getting started”.

Throughout this trial I’m going to be saving my searches and online resources on My Del.icio.us so if anyone reading this is looking for resources please feel free to check there.

The search resulted in me finding Graeme and his Getting started With a Sun T2000 entry on his Notes from a Messy Desk Blog.

Sun have obviously been taking notes on the experiences of people with the trial because there was a discrepancy between Graeme’s experience and mine.

I had worked out after attaching both power cables to the back of the Sun Fire (ahhhh that’s what the other one was for) that it was probably a bad idea to go ahead and connect it to the mains and so was slightly worried when he mentioned that I would need a console cable which was not supplied, and should contact a Sun reseller to get one.

For those people who will need to contact Sun during their trial and are used to the less than efficient responses of other corporations I can whole heartedly endorse Sun. The phone rang and was then answered immediately by a human being who was armed with knowledge. Slightly shocked I explained my question and asked whether I could use the cat 5 cables supplied or if I would need to obtain another cable. Notes were taken and a promise to email back was made. Somewhat surprisingly the answer arrived by email within half an hour. I could indeed use the cables supplied.

In true heroic story format I had a bit of a Flashback to my youth when my own personal Obi Wan Kenobi (Jonathan Semple) taught a keen 18 year old about setting up a system console on SCO Unix using serial cables. Suddenly the adapters supplied made sense and so I fitted one end of the Cat 5 cable to the system console port on the Sun Fire and the other end to the 9 pin serial to RJ45 adapter I then found out that my modern Sony Vaio laptop didn’t have a serial port. Of course this also led to the realisation that I didn’t need to have the USB keyboard and mouse connected to the Sun Fire either and disconnected them.

The serious point to make is that setting up the Sun fire is probably best achieved with the addition of whatever old desktop you happen to have laying around, as this is more likely to have an available serial port.

Loading up HyperTerminal I took Graeme’s advice again and set it up to connect through Com1 at 9600 bps with 8 bits 1 stop bit and No parity and also no flow control whatsoever (yeah let it flow free man!). In today’s modern world the whole concept of serial communication is probably going to be alien to a lot of people, but trust me, it really is a piece of cake if you stick to the settings above.

I was now ready to switch on and so after taking a mental brandy I plugged in and the machine quietly came to life and presented me with green lights and a whole load of diagnostic information in HyperTerminal.

This is actually a good point that if nothing appears in your terminal window then you’ve done something wrong and should check that you’ve plugged the cable into the right serial port and have the settings correct.

At this point you will see a system prompt and what the machine wants is its IP Network settings.

Probably like a lot of small agencies we outsource our network to an external company who support Windows boxes only, and so I had to go and ring them to get a vacant private IP address, which took longer than 3 minutes and resulted in the machine dropping my connection to terminal. Reconnecting didn’t help and I couldn’t find a reset switch on the box and so I elected to unplug and re-plug the cables into the mains which didn’t seem to have an adverse effect on the box and then enabled me to set my network settings with the following commands.

setsc if_network true
setsc netsc_ipaddr
setsc netsc_ipnetmask
setsc netsc_ipgateway


I was also kind of inquisitive and so went through the process again to enter more settings including the management port as a networked resource using ‘setupsc’ and then ‘resetsc

Of course I also realised that I was going to need more IP addresses than just the one and so called our IT company again (a conversation worthy of an entry on its own – “Exactly how many do you think your going to need?”). The bare minimum I suggest is two, one for the management console and one to connect to make the machine available to the rest of the network, but you should also note that the serial network management port displays more diagnostic information than the IP address connected port does and so having some sort of access to a serial console is still a good idea.

Armed with all this experience and having already set passwords for the various access methods I took my courage in both hands and typed ‘poweron

I think I already mentioned that I was setting the machine up at a vacant desk in the office. Ours is not a large office and so everyone else around was treated to the two fans blasting and masking the sound of the air conditioning, any attempts at telephone conversations and destroyed any hope of people more than 4 feet away hearing what you say to them. I’m not kidding, this is not a quiet machine and in hindsight I should have put it away in a rack in a room before doing this.

Once in there was no stopping me and so after promising to buy everyone affected a drink later, I ran ‘console –f’ where the rest of the computers configuration was set.

To be honest this did give me a few problems. I had chosen PC Console as the emulation type in Hyperterminal and i’m thinking I set this incorrectly because the menus I was presented with selected the option above the one I actually set, which led to a certain amount of fiddling about as I corrected my time zone from Australia to Europe.

Things like the computers name seemed to go without incident and so I entered ‘Rosco’ after Rosco Tanner because he was a big server (Big Server.. gettit?).

What did give me problems was setting up a name server. Our network is a bog standard Windows network without frills and so after my attempts to set-up ‘none’ failed I had to work my way through the list before I found an option which didn’t lead to an error preventing me form going any further. Finally I set it to DNS and entered our basic DNS details although this did later result in an error when Rosco couldn’t find himself listed in it (predictably). I’ve made a mental note to establish local DNS for the office so this should sort itself out through the next few days. Basically though this was job done for getting a server established and so I entered ‘shutdown’ which took the machine back to single user mode and then ‘poweroff’ to give everyone’s eardrums a break.

It was now time to set Rosco in his rack in the computer/filing/box room.

Now I’ll freely admit that I never had a Mechano kit when I was a kid but even with that caveat I found assembling the rack mount the most difficult part of the job. At one point I had one detached arm connected to the server and some sort of telescopic light saber swaying precarious as I attempted to fix the other side. Eventually I found a release button which detached the remaining arm but to me the instructions supplied were not intuitive enough. Success was only really achieved when I got one of the junior account executives to help me steady things as I screwed them into the rack. Having said that, once this was done, the machine slid in without problems and seated very comfortably and securely in place.

Cables were re-attached but the dual requirement of a network port for the machine and a network port for the management console was something I hadn’t considered prior to the machine arriving and only one spare one was available. There wasn’t room for another machine and so I used the serial management connection to plug into the back of the Windows server in order to free up the single port to connect it to the network. Currently I have to use the windows box if I want to do any maintenance on the sun box and cannot do so over telnet. I’ve made a mental note to buy one of those mini stackable network hubs from PC World which should sort the problem out.

That was really day one completed, and a well deserved beer was removed from the agency hospitality fridge.

As a side note some of you may be wondering why i'm running this as an internal machine when the applications I want to run are clearly designed to be public. The answer is that firstly the machine isn't configured to be public yet but the main reason is because those wodnerful people at BT have not (after 2 attempts) been able to configure our asyncronous internet connection correctly, and therefore I just don't have the badnwidth yet to test anything and won't until Friday at the earliest.

Related Tags: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 1:47 pm, Anonymous Obi said...

Use the Force Luke !

 
At 1:59 am, Blogger ninest123 Ninest said...

ninest123 10.16
tiffany jewelry, replica watches, jordan shoes, replica watches, michael kors outlet store, michael kors handbags, burberry outlet online, nike air max, ugg australia, cheap ugg boots, christian louboutin, christian louboutin outlet, burberry outlet online, ugg outlet, tory burch outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, tiffany and co, louis vuitton outlet, chanel handbags, kate spade outlet online, polo ralph lauren outlet, ray ban sunglasses, prada handbags, polo ralph lauren, oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin shoes, gucci handbags, michael kors outlet online, nike outlet, longchamp handbags, prada outlet, cheap ugg boots outlet, oakley vault, longchamp outlet, ray ban outlet, nike air max, nike free, louis vuitton handbags, cheap oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet online sale, ugg boots clearance, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet online, louis vuitton outlet online

 
At 2:01 am, Blogger ninest123 Ninest said...

longchamp, michael kors outlet online, hermes pas cher, ray ban pas cher, timberland pas cher, vans pas cher, tn pas cher, nike roshe, converse pas cher, true religion outlet, air max pas cher, nike air max, air jordan, north face, coach outlet store online, michael kors, nike free, guess pas cher, true religion jeans, louboutin, nike roshe run, burberry pas cher, kate spade outlet, new balance pas cher, mulberry uk, nike free pas cher, longchamp pas cher, true religion outlet, coach outlet, north face pas cher, true religion, nike air max, lululemon outlet online, coach purses, coach outlet, michael kors uk, air max, scarpe hogan, nike blazer pas cher, hollister uk, nike air force, sac vanessa bruno, ralph lauren uk, hollister, lacoste pas cher, michael kors canada, abercrombie and fitch, ray ban uk, ralph lauren pas cher, oakley pas cher

 
At 2:04 am, Blogger ninest123 Ninest said...

jimmy choo shoes, chi flat iron, bottega veneta, ralph lauren, celine handbags, giuseppe zanotti, nike air huarache, mont blanc pens, ghd, gucci, ray ban, baseball bats, converse shoes, abercrombie and fitch, louboutin, p90x workout, nike roshe, babyliss, mac cosmetics, vans outlet, north face jackets, mcm handbags, vans, nfl jerseys, new balance outlet, reebok shoes, lululemon outlet, valentino shoes, abercrombie, north face jackets, wedding dresses, instyler ionic styler, asics shoes, hollister clothing store, air max, nike air max, timberland boots, nike trainers, converse, herve leger, birkin bag, iphone case, oakley, insanity workout, hollister, ferragamo shoes, soccer shoes, longchamp, beats headphones, soccer jerseys, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet online

 
At 2:07 am, Blogger ninest123 Ninest said...

links of london uk, louis vuitton pas cher, canada goose, doke gabbana outlet, moncler, ugg boots, canada goose outlet, ugg soldes, louis vuitton canada, juicy couture, swarovski jewelry, moncler outlet, michael kors outlet online, moncler, marc jacobs handbags, pandora uk, sac louis vuitton, canada goose, ugg, wedding dress, hollister canada, michael kors outlet, moncler, pandora charms, juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton uk, uggs canada, canada goose outlet, michael kors handbags, louis vuitton, replica watches, thomas sabo uk, ugg, coach outlet, moncler, montre femme, canada goose, barbour, moncler, pandora jewelry, sac lancel, canada goose pas cher, moncler, canada goose outlet, barbour jackets, karen millen, supra shoes, swarovski uk, canada goose, toms outlet, pandora jewelry, moncler outlet
ninest123 10.16

 
At 9:37 am, Blogger Junda Xu said...

20151031 junda ヰ

the north face
Jordan 6 Rings Powder Blue
fit flops
canada goose jackets
michael kors outlet
ugg boots australia
Louis Vuitton Handbags Factory Store
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet
Michael Kors Outlet Free Shipping
Abercrombie & Fitch Factory Outlet
Michael Kors Outlet Online No Tax
Louis Vuitton Bags Outlet Store
Coach Outlet Store Online Handbags Clearance
coach factory outlet
michael kors outlet sale
cheap ugg boots
Louis Vuitton Bags On Sale
cheap uggs
Abercrombie and Fitch Outlet Sale
Ugg Boots,Ugg Boots Outlet,Ugg Outlet,Cheap Uggs,Uggs On Sale,Ugg Boots Clearance,Uggs For Women
Coach Factory Outlet Private Sale
Mont Blanc Legend And Mountain Pen Discount
Tom Shoes Outlet With Free Shipping
ugg boots
michael kors
Canada Goose,Canada Goose Outlet,Canada Goose Jackets,Canada Goose Sale
Lebron James Basketball Shoes Sale
cheap ugg boots
coach canada

 
At 1:09 am, Blogger 艾丰 said...

jianbin1130
black friday
michael kors outlet store
michael kors uk outlet
fred perry shirts
lebron james shoes,lebron 12,lebron 12 shoes,lebron sneakers,lebron iv,lebron 11,lebron 10
nike air max 2014
timberland outlet
adidas jeremy scott
adidas outlet store
canada goose jackets
nike air huarache,nike huarache,nike huarache sneakers,nike huarache shoes
uggs outlet
north face jackets
football shirts uk,soccer jerseys uk,cheap soccer jerseys uk
coach outlet
winter coats outlet
ray ban sale
chanel handbags
michael kors usa
louis vuitton outlet online
lebron 12
michael kors outlet online
uggs outlet
ray ban sunglasses outlet,ray ban sunglasses,ray ban,rayban,ray bans,ray ban outlet,ray-ban,raybans,ray ban wayfarer,ray-ban sunglasses,raybans.com,rayban sunglasses,cheap ray ban
canada goose jackets
cheap mlb jerseys
uggs outlet
cheap ugg boots
winter jackets outlet
los angeles clippers
dallas cowboys
air jordan 13 free shipping
new york knicks

 
At 10:05 am, Blogger dong dong23 said...

louboutin pas cher
fitflop sandals
adidas outlet store
michael kors purses
nike uk
cheap oakley sunglasses
cheap jordans
jordan 4
coach outlet store online
coach factory outlet
michael kors outlet clearance
air jordan pas cher
true religion jeans
rolex watches
longchamp outlet
kate spade handbags
louis vuitton outlet stores
hollister clothing
fitflops
christian louboutin flats
louis vuitton outlet
coach outlet
ray ban sunglasses
polo ralph lauren outlet
michael kors outlet
cheap oakley sunglasses
louis vuitton outlet
kobe bryant shoes
adidas uk
ray ban sunglasses outlet
cheap oakley sunglasses
rolex submariner
giuseppe zanotti
polo ralph lauren
louis vuitton outlet
kate spade
nike air force
basketball shoes
louis vuitton outlet
supra shoes
20167.16wengdongdong

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home